Once the kids were settled at our friends' house, we went to our home teachers and got another priesthood blessing to help put me at ease for the upcoming procedure. I sure needed it, because once we got to the hospital, my nerves couldn't have been more on edge.
We checked in and after some paperwork, we were escorted to our new home for the next few days. I was given my beautiful hospital gown, complete with holes in the chest area for nursing (love those) and told to get undressed.
Up next was the worst part of the whole C-section, the IV. I guess I have a horrible aversion to needles, because I remember thinking while it was getting inserted that this was the most horrible thing to have to endure, EVER! The first attempt failed, due to a valve getting in the way, so the nurse opted to put the IV in my right arm, causing me annoyance every time I tried to use my hand.
The cold liquid getting pumped into my body through this tube seemed more than I could bare. I was seriously freaking out and even had to have some oxygen to get control of myself. The tears welled many a times in the next hour of waiting for the anesthesiologist to come talk to us.
When he finally arrived I wasn't feeling any better and hearing what was up next didn't help. After Kyle put on his jumpsuit and the nurse took a comedic picture, we were wheeled off the OR.
I said good-bye to Kyle at the door and entered the operating room all alone. I felt miserable laying in a bed next to Kyle back in my room, now I had to endure the next 20 minutes alone. Things seemed unbearable from the start.
The shaking and chattering of teeth started as soon as I lay down on the operating table. I was instructed to get on my side and curl up in a ball for the administration of the numbing agent that preceded the spinal block. I felt the burn and jumped, but apparently not too high, because it began taking effect immediately and I never noticed the spinal after that.
After my legs were numb and I was draped, Kyle was brought into the room and the doctors started. I couldn't feel anything, just some pressure, and once the baby was out and crying, everything was right with the world, except I couldn't hold her and I had to get stitched up for another 40 minutes.
The 1 hour C-section was almost too much, but at least I know what to expect next time and expect things to be much easier.